Look for purple new potatoes prebagged with red and yellow varieties in the produce section. Vacuum-sealed, ready-to-eat beets, also found in the produce aisle, speed up the prep time in this bright and versatile salad.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 small purple potatoes (1 pound), washed
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (8-ounce) package ready-to-eat beets, drained and cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Fill large saucepan with water and 1 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes, and bring to a boil. Do not cut potatoes before cooking or the purple color will fade. Cook until tender, about 15–20 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, place onion, pickle juice, vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. (Or place in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook on high for 3 minutes.)
- Cut potatoes into quarters, and place in a bowl with beets. Scoop out onions from pan, and mix in. Reserve pickle juice mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream, dried dill and 2 tablespoons of pickle juice blend. Pour over vegetables; combine well. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.