A traditional carbonara features bacon, but the Vidalia onions and roasted red peppers in this dish make up for those missing flavors.
- 1 box Barilla Farfelle
- 1 large Vidalia onion, julienned
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, julienned
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Roast the red peppers; cook on open flame until charred on all sides. Place in a sealed container for 15 minutes, then remove skin and seeds.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet saute onion with olive oil over medium heat until slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix yolks and cheese with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain reserving 1/4 cup cooking water and toss with onions and peppers.
- Turn off heat and add yolks mixture with a bit of cooking water, mix well making sure pasta is coating but eggs are not scrambled.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.