Tex-Mex Breakfast Tacos
What’s a brunch without bacon? HEALTHY bacon that is!
Share this Post
- 1 package Applegate Naturals® No Sugar Bacon
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 warm corn tortillas
- Roasted Poblano Salsa Verde (see below)
- 2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
For the Roasted Poblano Salsa Verde:
- 1 fresh poblano pepper
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Heat the skillet over moderate heat, add the eggs and cook, stirring, until lightly scrambled. Remove from the heat.
For the Roasted Poblano Salsa:
- Set the pepper directly on the grates of a gas stove, turn on the heat to medium-high and roast the pepper, turning occasionally, until blackened all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pepper to paper bag and seal to steam and cool. (The pepper can also be roasted on a grill or broiled.)
- When the pepper has cooled, remove it from the bag and peel off the skin. Stem the pepper and remove the seeds. Coarsely chop it and put in a blender.
- Add the tomatillos, onions, cilantro and salt to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Double up the warm tortillas and divide among 4 plates.
- Divide the scrambled eggs among the tortillas. Spoon some salsa over each taco. Coarsely chop the bacon and divide among the tacos, along with the queso fresco and chopped onion. Scatter a few cilantro leaves over each taco and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post