This recipe is loaded with antioxidants such as vitamins A, C and E, asparagus is a free-radical fighter with very few calories, no fat and a lot of fiber.
Chopped Asparagus Nicoise Salad Recipe
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 cups lettuce leaves (Romaine, Butter or Red Leaf), torn or chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 4 medium hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- Whisk together the vinegars, salt, honey, mustard and fresh herbs. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking vigorously to emulsify. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus to the water and cook 3 to 5 minutes until just tender but still firm. Remove and rinse under cold water to stop from cooking further.
- Toss together asparagus, lettuce, olives, onion and capers with half the prepared dressing. Place the salad mixture on a serving platter and arrange eggs and tomatoes around the outer edge. Serve additional dressing on the side in a small serving bowl.
Calories: 288 Fat: 21g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 17g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 822mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 12g Cholesterol: 212mg