Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 cup dry wild and brown rice mix
- 1¾ cup vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, optionally toasted in a 350° oven for 10 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can cooked lentils (1½ cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons wheat-free tamari, to taste, optional
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, optional
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the rice, vegetable stock and ½ teaspoon sea salt in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook until all liquid is absorbed, approximately 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Add the onions and celery and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a bowl along with remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and mix well. Add the cooked rice mixture and stir well.
- Transfer to a well-oiled 8-by-8-inch casserole dish and press down firmly. Top with breadcrumbs, if using, and bake 40 minutes.
Variations: For an oil-free version, omit the oil and add 1/4 water or vegetable stock to saute onion, celery and garlic. Add 1 cup diced mushrooms along with the onion and celery. Recipe Courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Press and Chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion and the Doctor & the Chef (www.doctorandchef.com).
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post