Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 4 cups
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 1 cup onion, half moon slices
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2½ cups water or veggie stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup soy sauce, try wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Create a roux by combining flour and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl and whisking well.
- Place remaining tablespoon of oil in a sauce pan on medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms, and cook until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, sage and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to simmer, add roux and stir constantly until sauce thickens. Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste and stir well before serving.
- Serve atop a Vegan Pecan Sage Holiday Loaf.
Recipe Courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Press and Chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion and the Doctor and the Chef (www.doctorandchef.com).
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post