Photo Credit: Mark Reinfeld
Vegan Golden Mushroom Gravy
An easy and delicious vegan gravy that will dress up your holiday meals.
Servings: 4 cups
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 1 cup onion, half moon slices
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2½ cups water or veggie stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup soy sauce, try wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Create a roux by combining flour and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl and whisking well.
- Place remaining tablespoon of oil in a sauce pan on medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms, and cook until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, sage and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to simmer, add roux and stir constantly until sauce thickens. Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste and stir well before serving.
- Serve atop a Vegan Pecan Sage Holiday Loaf.
Recipe Courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Press and Chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion and the Doctor and the Chef (www.doctorandchef.com).