Photo Credit: Mark Reinfeld
Vegan Pecan Sage Holiday Loaf
When the holidays are upon us, turn to this filling, savory and nutty loaf as the centerpiece for your feat.
Share this Post
- 1 cup dry wild and brown rice mix
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, optionally toasted in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes
- 1 15 ounce can cooked lentils ( 1 ½ cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons wheat free tamari, to taste, optional
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, optional
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the rice, vegetable stock and ½ teaspoon sea salt in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook until all liquid is absorbed, approximately 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Add the onions and celery and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a bowl along with remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and mix well. Add the cooked rice mixture and stir well.
- Transfer to a well oiled 8 inch by 8 inch casserole dish and press down firmly. Top with breadcrumbs, if using, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly before slicing and serving. Serve with Golden Gravy (recipe below).
Variations: For an oil-free version, omit the oil and add ¼ water or vegetable stock to saute the onions, celery and garlic. Add 1 cup diced mushrooms along with the onion and celery.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post