Photo Credit: Mark Reinfeld
Vegan Pecan Sage Holiday Loaf
When the holidays are upon us, turn to this filling, savory and nutty loaf as the centerpiece for your feat.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1 cup dry wild and brown rice mix
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, optionally toasted in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes
- 1 15 ounce can cooked lentils ( 1 ½ cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons wheat free tamari, to taste, optional
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, optional
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the rice, vegetable stock and ½ teaspoon sea salt in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook until all liquid is absorbed, approximately 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Add the onions and celery and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a bowl along with remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and mix well. Add the cooked rice mixture and stir well.
- Transfer to a well oiled 8 inch by 8 inch casserole dish and press down firmly. Top with breadcrumbs, if using, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly before slicing and serving. Serve with Golden Gravy (see link below)
Golden Gravy Recipe Variations: For an oil-free version, omit the oil and add ¼ water or vegetable stock to saute the onions, celery and garlic. Add 1 cup diced mushrooms along with the onion and celery.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post