With very little active prep time, this comforting Indian-inspired dish comes together quickly. Enjoy leftovers for lunch, as flavors continue to develop overnight.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, medium dice
- 1½ cups red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium bunch spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Toasted coconut, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm coconut oil and add onion. Sauté 2–3 minutes, until translucent. Add curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in potatoes and lentils, followed by the water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer covered for 25 minutes, until lentils are creamy.
- Stir in spinach, lime juice and salt. Season to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and toasted coconut
- Brush the remaining butter mixture on top of bread and place in the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until top is golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a cooling rack before serving.