Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Avocado Buckwheat Belgian Waffle with Blueberry Confit
Start the morning off with these protein packed waffles.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ very ripe avocado; peeled, seeded, pureed
- 2 cups frozen blueberries, divided
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Diced avocado, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk milk, egg, egg white and avocado in medium bowl.
- Whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients until dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Preheat waffle maker. Pour 1 cup batter onto center of the bottom grid. Close top. Bake until golden, about 4 minutes. Garnish with blueberry confit and avocado, if desired.
- Place half of the blueberries in a small saucepan with all other ingredients; cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, until blueberries start to break down and liquid thickens.
- Fold in remaining blueberries; cook an additional 8 minutes until heated and all blueberries are tender.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University. Brianda Esquivel, Chef Adam Sacks, Taylor Sherwin and Emily Smith (l to r) developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4.5g | Sodium: 250mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post