Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, suprêmed and juice reserved (see Tip)
- 2 cups (140 g) shredded red cabbage
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon
fresh lime juice Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup (30 g) chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- ¼ cup (30 g) walnut pieces
- Combine the fennel, grapefruit segments and juice, cabbage, bell pepper, and lime juice in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then toss to combine. (At this point, you can refrigerate the salad overnight.)
- When ready to serve, add the cilantro and toss to com- bine. Divide into bowls, then divide avocado and walnuts evenly between salads.
TIP: The secret to peel-free citrus segments is a technique called suprêming. To suprême citrus, slice off both ends just until the flesh is exposed. Starting at the top, use a paring knife to slice the rind and white pith off, removing as little flesh as possible. Hold the fruit in your nondominant hand and make shallow vertical slices between each segment, along the natural divisions. Do this over a bowl to catch any juices. Discard any seeds as well as the middle part and the membrane that separates the segments.
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Photographs copyright © Ken Carlson, Waterbury Publications Inc. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine