Winter Sunshine Salad
When you’re sick of winter and unable to take another bite of soup or stew, treat yourself to this salad. Crunchy and bursting with flavor, it’s a welcome diversion from the heavy comfort food of winter. Thanks to the citrus and avocado, it dresses itself.
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, suprêmed and juice reserved (see Tip)
- 2 cups (140 g) shredded red cabbage
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon
fresh lime juice Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup (30 g) chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- ¼ cup (30 g) walnut pieces
- Combine the fennel, grapefruit segments and juice, cabbage, bell pepper, and lime juice in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then toss to combine. (At this point, you can refrigerate the salad overnight.)
- When ready to serve, add the cilantro and toss to com- bine. Divide into bowls, then divide avocado and walnuts evenly between salads.