Photo Credit: Linda Pugliese
Vegan Smoked “Salmon” with “Cream Cheese,” Capers and Dill CanapésPRINT
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
For the Smoked "Salmon"
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 3 tablespoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 large sheet of nori
- 2 tablespoons smoked sea salt (or regular sea salt)
- Juice if 1 lemon
- 5 large carrots, peeled
For the "Cream Cheese"
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt and white pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 6 sliced toasted rye bead (or gluten-free bread), cut into small pieces for canapés
- lemon slices
- 3 tablespoons capers
- small handful of fresh dill
- Place all “salmon” ingredients except carrots into a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes to let flavors infuse.
- While broth is cooking, use a peeler to slice carrots into long ribbons and place in a large heatproof bowl.
- Pour broth through a sieve directly over carrots into the bowl. This will lightly cook them. When broth has cooled, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or place mixture into sterilized jars. Refrigerate for at least a day (or up to seven days). The broth acts as a marinade.
- To make the “cream cheese,” soak nuts in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain away soaking water, and tip nuts into a blender cup with rest of the ingredients. Blitz everything until smooth, then use straightaway or store in fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- To serve, generously spread “cream cheese” onto pieces of toasted bread, top with smoked “salmon” (drained of marinade), and then top with lemon, capers and dill.
Excerpted from Vegan Christmas: Over 70 Amazing Recipes for the Festive Season © 2018 By Gaz Oakley. Published By Quadrille.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 8g | Sodium: 501mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post