Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Tempeh Ribs with Peach Habanero Barbecue Sauce
Use peaches to make a sweet barbeque sauce that pairs perfectly with the tempeh ribs.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1½ pounds tempeh
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 habanero peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger paste
- 1 large peach, pitted and small dice
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Slice tempeh into half-inch strips. Place in a shallow saucepan and pour vegetable stock over; tempeh should be completely submerged. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes. Remove tempeh from stock and pat dry.
- Make spice rub by combining sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper. Toss tempeh with rub.
- In a medium sautépan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Place tempeh in pan and flip after approximately 6 minutes; sides should be brown and crispy.
- To make barbecue sauce: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, habanero and ginger, cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a low simmer for 45 minutes. Blend sauce until completely combined. Blend in a Vitamix, or any blender, until smooth.
- Serve tempeh with sauce.
Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 32g | Sodium: 1040mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post