Spiced Ginger Mulled Wine
In Europe, a simmering pot of mulled wine is about as common as a cup of coffee around the holidays. Toast to the holidays and your health with this sweet and spicy cocktail.
- 2 x 750-ml bottles red wine, preferably a Beaujolais or another light and fruity red with no oak
- 1 cup sugar, or add honey in last to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 allspice berry
- 1 star anise
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 apple, diced (preferably Gala)
- Zest of 1/4 lemon
- 2-3 bags of Traditional Medicinals organic Ginger tea
- You can use a large soup pan or slow cooker for this recipe. Toast the spices at the bottom of your pan until you smell the aroma. This step is optional, but we highly recommend it: it really brings out the spicy flavors!
- Add in your wine and all other ingredients, including your tea bags. If using honey in lieu of sugar, add it in last to taste.
- Bring mixture to a simmer (not a boil) and allow it to cook for 15-20 minutes. For extra flavor, let it sit overnight and re-heat to serve. Alternatively, use a slow cooker on low for 4-8 hours.
- Strain out the herbs and spices, and serve warm with cinnamon sticks, orange slices, star anise, or cinnamon sticks as a garnish