Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 ounces coconut oil, divided
- 2 red onions, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 slices whole-grain sandwich bread
- 4 cups smoked Gouda, grated
- 2 Red Bartlett pears; halved, cored and thinly sliced
- To make balsamic onions: In a medium nonstick skillet, melt 1 ounce coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until onion begins to caramelize. Add vinegar, sugar and black pepper; then simmer until onions are soft and liquid is reduced to a glaze. Set aside.
- Building the sandwich: Top a slice of bread with ½ cup cheese, followed with pear slices and balsamic onions. Place second slice on top. Press gently.
- Wipe out skillet used to cook the onions; melt remaining 1 ounce of coconut oil over medium heat. Place two sandwiches in skillet, press gently with spatula, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 2–3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches, and again cook until golden brown. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Transfer sandwiches to plates, cut in half, and serve.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson and Wales University. Chef Adam Sacks, Jack Maguire and Morgan Sauer developed these recipes. Known as a leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. Learn more at jwu.edu/denver.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post