Vegan Recipe Contest Winner
Thank you to everyone who participated in our first-ever vegan recipe contest. We received more than 500 entries! The grand-prize winner—selected by our esteemed judges Chef Mark Reinfeld and registered dietitian Ellie Krieger—is this tasty and refreshing pesto pasta by Danielle Cole of Boston, Mass., made with peas, basil and mint for a fun twist on a traditional dish. The easy-to-prepare recipe makes a great plant-based entrée or side dish.
Pea Pesto Pasta with Basil and Mint
Recipe Type: Entree
Author: Danielle Cole
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Simple Truth Organic Green Peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons water or Simple Truth Organic Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to thin
- 8 ounces Simple Truth Organic Spaghetti Whole Wheat (or substitute Simple Truth Organic Gluten Free Spaghetti for a gluten-free option)
- Extra peas and chopped basil and mint, for serving (optional)
- Thinly sliced radish, for serving (optional)
- Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, add pesto ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender; start with 1 tablespoon of water or olive oil and increase if needed. Blend until a thick but creamy pesto is achieved.
- Once water is boiling, add spaghetti and return to a boil. Cook uncovered 9–11 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta, and reserve some of the water. Return drained pasta to pot.
- Combine drained spaghetti and pesto sauce in pot. Toss pasta to ensure even coating. Add some of the reserved pasta water if a thinner pesto sauce is desired.
- To serve, divide pasta among four bowls and add extra peas, chopped basil and mint, and sliced radishes, if using. Enjoy!
PER SERVING: 210 CAL; 8G PROTEIN; 6G FAT; 31G CARB (4G SUGARS); 593MG SODIUM; 7G FIBER
(NUTRITIONAL VALUES CALCULATED AT NUTRITIONDATA.SELF.COM)
Special thanks to Carl Pluim for hosting us in his beautiful kitchen for our final recipe testing and photo shoot, and to Suzanne Prendergast for assisting on food prep and styling.
Click here for the full list of winners.