Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Grilled Artichokes with Mustard Greens Pesto
Serve artichokes drizzled with pesto or simply peel leaves and use pesto as a dip.
Share this Post
- 1 pound mustard greens, washed, tough stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup pecan halves, toasted, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for grilling
- 8 artichokes, cut in half
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add greens, and cook 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Drain greens in a colander, and let cool to room temperature (or rinse with cool water). Gently squeeze greens with hands to remove excess water.
- Place greens in a food processor with pecans and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped. Add oil and salt; pulse until thoroughly incorporated.
- Put 1 inch off top of each artichoke half. Remove outer woody layer of leaves and inner thistles. Steam artichokes 30 minutes, until tender and easily pierced with a paring knife. Shock in an ice bath, and pat dry before grilling.
- Turn grill up to high heat. Oil grates, and brush cut side of artichokes with oil to prevent sticking. Sprinkle each side with salt, and grill cut side down, 2–3 minutes. (If you don’t have a grill, turn oven broiler to high. Place steamed artichokes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cut side up; broil 5 minutes, until edges are browned.)
- To serve, place artichokes cut side up on a platter. Drizzle with pesto, and top with extra pecans, if desired. Can also serve artichokes with pesto as dip in a small bowl. Simply peel leaves, and dip in pesto.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University (JWU). Leilah Rice, Thomas Grabe, Amanda Fischer, Julianne Williams, Kevin Knaus and Chef Adam Sacks (L to R) developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Sodium: 108mg | Fiber: 4g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post