For this recipe, we highly suggest using avocado oil rather than extra-virgin olive oil. The mild taste of avocado oil is a perfect match for goat cheese balls. Avocado oil is also high in heart-healthy fats but has a higher smoke point, which is essential for flash frying. (Though we used avocado oil, you can also use grapeseed oil as an alternative.)
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup corn starch (or flour)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, whisked
- Avocado oil
- Cucumber/carrot, julienned
- 1/2 mango
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Roll goat cheese into 6 – .5oz balls.
- Place in freezer, on a plate lined with wax paper, for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat skillet on medium for 3 minutes.
- Coat pan with avocado oil (about 1/2 inch deep) and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove goat cheese from freezer.
- Mix thyme and breadcrumbs in a small bowl, whisk egg in a separate bowl, place cornstarch in a third bowl.
- Dip each ball in cornstarch, egg batter, then breadcrumbs.
- Carefully place goat cheese balls in skillet, turning with tongs every 3-4 seconds until lightly browned.
- For mango sauce, blend mango, balsamic vinegar, avocado oil and salt and pepper in NutriBullet or food processor until smooth.
*WINE RECOMMENDATION: Sauvignon Blanc or a dry, crisp Rosé! Avoid oaky wines when devouring this delicious dish.*
Kristen Doute is the co-founder of Vegiholic.com.