Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Fire-Roasted Fennel, Radishes and Potatoes
Roasting radishes? Absolutely. You may never again think of radishes as just something to toss in salad. Choose large radishes with healthy green tops.
- Perforated grill pan or cast-iron skillet
- 8 baby red or yellow potatoes; scrubbed, dried, cut in half
- 1 bunch large radishes; cut in half, save the tops
- 1 fennel bulb; cut off end and top, slice in ½-inch slices, save the fronds
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and then eighths
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary or fresh thyme
- Balsamic vinegar
- Heat grill to high heat (400°).
- Place potatoes and radishes in separate bowls. Place fennel and onion in a bowl. Sprinkle each bowl with a generous splash of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in grill pan. Cook for 15 minutes; toss frequently to grill evenly.
- Lower heat to 375°. Add onions, fennel and herb sprigs. Cook 20 minutes; give vegetables a good stir every few minutes.
- Add radishes; grill 10 minutes.
- Wash radish tops (they are notoriously dirty), and dry well. Chop into a rough salad. Add fennel fronds, if available. Set aside.
- Place vegetables on a platter. Top with radish-fennel greens. Sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 641mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g