Cream of Broccoli Soup
This soup is wonderfully creamy, but is light on dairy.
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, chopped
- 1 large large stalk celery (3/4 cup), chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion (1/2 cup), chopped
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons potato flour or 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed in 1 tablespoon cool water
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk of choice
- Heat water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add broccoli flowerets and stalk pieces, celery, carrots, onion, and oats. Cover and return to a low boil. Simmer at this low boil for about 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender (do not drain).
- Carefully place broccoli mixture in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth.
Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir broth into butter- flour mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Reduce heat, stir in broccoli-vegetable mixture, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Return soup to a low simmer. Stir in milk – do not boil. Turn off heat or keep on low until ready to serve.