With a few pulses of the blender, you’ve made a healthy, light summer gazpacho with a smoky chipotle finish. Serve with a Spanish Manchego cheese, a loaf of crusty bread and a salad.
- 15 ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 15 canned whole tomatoes with juice)
- 1 cup tomato-based vegetable juice (delete if using canned tomatoes)
- 2 mini cucumbers or ½ English cucumber, diced
- 4 stalks celery with inner leaves, sliced
- 1½ cup seedless watermelon cubes
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 10 basil leaves
- 3–4 tablespoons red wine or sherry vinegar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzle
- Place all ingredients except the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree, and pulse until soup is thick. Add half the tomato juice or water, and pulse. If too thick, add more liquid.
- Season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Pulse to mix; taste, and adjust seasoning.
- Chill until ready to serve. Pour into bowls, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
PER SERVING: 155 cal; 6g protein; 7g fat; 21g carb (13g sugars); 46mg sodium; 6g fiber