Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Chipotle Tomato Watermelon Gazpacho
Raw, cold fruit and vegetables come together in a flash.
- 15 ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 15 canned whole tomatoes with juice)
- 1 cup tomato-based vegetable juice (delete if using canned tomatoes)
- 2 mini cucumbers or ½ English cucumber, diced
- 4 stalks celery with inner leaves, sliced
- 1½ cups seedless watermelon cubes
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 10 basil leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons red wine or sherry vinegar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzle
- Place all ingredients except the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree, and pulse until soup is thick. Add half the tomato juice or water, and pulse. If too thick, add more liquid.
- Season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Pulse to mix; taste, and adjust seasoning.
- Chill until ready to serve. Pour into bowls, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 46mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g