Carrot Top Pesto
A tasty way to use your carrot greens.
- Greens from 1 medium bunch of carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- Squirt of fresh lemon juice
- Pull the feathery leaves off the stems. You should have about 2 loosely packed cups of leaves.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and drop in the carrot leaves. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes to blanch, then drain. The greens will reduce to about 1/2 cup.
- Transfer the greens to a food processer or blender and add the oil, pine nuts, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Blend to a puree.
- Refrigerate the pesto, covered in oil, for up to 10 days, or freeze.
Eugenia Bone is the author of The Kitchen Ecosystem: Integrating Recipes to Create Delicious Meals (Clarkson Potter, 2014). The book includes 400 recipes derived from 40 common ingredients—from asparagus to fish to zucchini—that create a kitchen ecosystem of connected foods that can be used across many dishes. Photo by Ben Fink.