Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 6 patties
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms; gills and stem removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup caramelized onions (see box below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a food processor, add black beans, mushrooms, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, water, lemon juice, chia seeds, onion powder, black pepper, salt and harissa. Pulse until mixture is a thick paste; chunks are OK.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add mushroom and bean mixture. Then add breadcrumbs, cheese and caramelized onions. Mix well.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once oil starts to simmer, 1–2 minutes, use dampened hands (the mixture will stick to you if you don’t) and scoop a ½cup of mixture into the palm of your hand. Gently shape into a burger, all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t, add a tablespoon more of breadcrumbs.
- Place in frying pan, and cook 3–5 minutes per side, or until they’re golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
How to Caramelize Onions Thin-slice 1–2 onions. Coat the bottom of a frying pan with 2 tablespoons butter, or a mixture of olive oil and butter (about 1 teaspoon per onion). Heat pan on medium-high heat, until butter is melted. Add onion, and stir to coat with the butter. Spread onions evenly over the pan, and let cook, stirring occasionally. After about 10 minutes, sprinkle onions with about ½ teaspoon sugar and a sprinkle of salt. This process could take 30–45 minutes—low and slow is the key.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Sodium: 471mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post