If you’re not ready to drink your brine straight up, this “lemonade” might be a way for you to dip into the brine.
- ¾–1 cup unrefined sugar or honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3-4 cups cups cold water
- 1 cup sauerkraut brine
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- Grated fresh ginger, to taste (optional)
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar with the warm water. Mix until sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Place syrup into a pitcher and add cold water, sauerkraut brine and lemon slices. Give lemon slices a twist to release some of the lemon juice as you are putting them into the pitcher. Add ginger, if using.
- Let sit for about a half hour to allow flavors to mingle.
- Serve over ice for a refreshing drink, or serve at room temperature for a cozy healing beverage.
Excerpted from Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten K. Shockey and Christopher Shockey, photography by Erin Kunkel, used with permission from Storey Publishing. Photo by Erin Kunkel.