Shop IngredientsHow this works
- ¾–1 cup unrefined sugar or honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3-4 cups cups cold water
- 1 cup sauerkraut brine
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- Grated fresh ginger, to taste (optional)
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar with the warm water. Mix until sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Place syrup into a pitcher and add cold water, sauerkraut brine and lemon slices. Give lemon slices a twist to release some of the lemon juice as you are putting them into the pitcher. Add ginger, if using.
- Let sit for about a half hour to allow flavors to mingle.
- Serve over ice for a refreshing drink, or serve at room temperature for a cozy healing beverage.
Excerpted from Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten K. Shockey and Christopher Shockey, photography by Erin Kunkel, used with permission from Storey Publishing. Photo by Erin Kunkel.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post