- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons applesauce (or canola oil)
- 3/4 cup sugar (try natural or nonrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place black beans in a food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, applesauce, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, peppermint (if using), baking powder and salt; process until smooth. Add ¼ cup of chips, and pulse a few times until chips are incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30–35 minutes, or until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.