Beet Tempeh Tostada with Vegan Chipotle Aioli
Sweet and earthy, beets contain antioxidants called betalains, which can help fight cancer and other degenerative diseases. They’re also rich in vitamins A, B and C as well as potassium.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh beets, medium diced
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Vegetable stock, as needed
- 1 pound tempeh, crumbled (2 ounces per tostada)
- 2 cups roasted cashews, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 8 blue masa corn tortillas
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Fresh lime wedges
Chipotle Tofu Aioli:
- 8 ounces soft tofu
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces chipotle adobo, from can
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté beets, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, cumin and cocoa. Add vegetable stock if mixture becomes too dry. Cook until tender. Add tempeh, cashews and tamari. Continue cooking until spices become fragrant.
- To prepare aioli, blend together all ingredients until smooth.
- Separate tostada mixture into eight portions. Build tostadas using warmed tortillas as your base, and build up filling. Garnish each with cabbage and avocado slices. Drizzle aioli over each, and finish with freshly squeezed lime juice.