Spring comes alive with the season’s freshest vegetables, tossed in a green pasta or vegetable spiral pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, sliced with a few inches of the green
- 1 orange or red pepper, cut into thin slices
- 16 ounces green linguini (dried vegetable pasta) or spiralized zucchini (see “Spiralized Vegetable Pasta” below)
- 1 cup sugar peas
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups red and yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 1 (.66-ounce) package fresh basil leaves, leaves torn
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves removed and coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet; add olive oil. Add onions and peppers; sauté until just cooked.
- At the same time, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook al dente. If using vegetable spirals, they will be tender in 3–4 minutes. Set aside 1 cup reserved pasta water. Drain, place in serving bowl, and cover with towel to keep warm.
- Add sugar peas and asparagus to pan; sauté 2–3 minutes. Add radishes, carrot and tomatoes; sauté 2–3 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and hot. Toss vegetables with pasta in serving bowl. Break up goat cheese, and sprinkle over the pasta. Cover to keep warm.
- Add basil, tarragon, orange juice and pasta water to the same pan, over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and reduce liquid by half. Reduce heat to low; add butter a few cubes at a time, while stirring. This will thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over pasta, and gently toss.
PER SERVING: 519 cal; 20g prot; 19g fat; 68g carb (6g sugars); 75mg sodium; 8g fiber
Spiralized Vegetable Pasta: A cool kitchen gadget called a spiralizer turns green zucchini and yellow summer squash into curly threads of vegetarian pasta. Trial and error says don’t peel or boil these soft tendrils, as they can overcook and turn to mush. Try a quick sauté. For portions, one medium squash equates to one serving. For the recipe above, substitute vegetable broth for the pasta water. While broth is reducing, sauté spiralized veggies in vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet for about 3 minutes. Toss with warm vegetables, and pour sauce over.