A delicious combo of sweet pear with bold, bitter radicchio and pasta.
- 2 pounds whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 radicchio heads, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 green Bartlett pears, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts or pecans, chopped
- In a large pot, boil water. Add spaghetti, and cook al dente (slightly starchy).
- Prepare radicchio and pears for cooking.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, and cook for 3–4 minutes until it starts to brown lightly and becomes fragrant.
- Drain pasta when finished, but reserve a cup of pasta water. It can be used if pasta is getting dry, or as a sauce thickener.
- Add pasta to browned butter and coat well over low heat. Add radicchio and arugula; cook 1–2 minutes until wilted and well incorporated.
- Turn off heat and add sliced pears, stirring gently. Add pasta water if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl, and garnish with cheese and hazelnuts.
PER SERVING: 420 CAL; 14G PROTEIN; 19G FAT; 49G CARB (10G SUGARS); 271MG SODIUM; 8G FIBER
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson and Wales University. Chef Adam Sacks, Jack Maguire and Morgan Sauer developed these recipes. Known as a leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. Learn more at jwu.edu/denver.