Recipe Type: Salad
Author: Leilah Rice, Thomas Grabe, Amanda Fischer, Julianne Williams, Kevin Knaus and Chef Adam Sacks
- ¼ pound asparagus
- ½ bunch each leafy greens—butter lettuce, arugula and frisée
- 2 cups watercress
- ½ cup broccoli sprouts (alfalfa, clover or radish sprouts work, too)
- 4 fennel bulbs, ferns removed
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 ounces grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- Wash asparagus, and pat dry. Cut tips off, saving for later. Using a peeler, shave the asparagus into long strips. Wash and toss leafy greens, watercress, sprouts and shaved asparagus together.
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, and heat oven to 375°. Add fennel bulbs to pot, and cook 10 minutes, until slightly transparent and tender. Carefully remove bulbs, and shock in an ice bath. Julienne, and toss with 3 tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Place on a parchment-lined sheet tray, and roast until tender and sweet, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together grapefruit juice, honey, thyme, mint and 1 teaspoon salt. Slowly drizzle in ¼ cup olive oil while whisking to create an emulsion. Season to taste.
- Add asparagus tips and fennel to leafy greens. Dress salad just before serving.
PER SERVING: 104 CAL; 2 G PROTEIN; 4 G FAT; 15 G CARB (5 G SUGARS); 129 MG SODIUM; 3 G FIBER
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University (JWU). Leilah Rice, Thomas Grabe, Amanda Fischer, Julianne Williams, Kevin Knaus and Chef Adam Sacks developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.