Warming Winter Tonic Soup
A soup to keep you healthy during the colder months…and year-round, too.
- ½ cup burdock root, peeled and sliced into thin slices
- ½ cup carrots sliced into ½ inch slices
- ½ cup beets, well scrubbed and sliced into ½ inch quarters
- ½ cup cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- 2 leeks, well-rinsed and sliced into ¼ inch slivers
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons light miso
- 2 scallions, minced
- Sauté burdock, carrots, cabbage, beets, leeks, onion, shiitake, garlic, and ginger in olive oil (in large stock pot) for 10 minutes.
- Add broth or water and bring to a low boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Dilute miso in small amount of hot broth and add to soup. Turn off heat, add scallions, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.