More than 500 readers submitted entries for the debut Live Naturally/Vegan Fusion vegan-recipe contest. This delicious, plant-based creation was among the 21 that rose to the top.
Recipe Type: Entree
Author: Cynthia Bellini
- 1 (6.5-ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
- ¾ cup Simple Truth garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup Simple Truth kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed, regular or golden
- 2 tablespoons roasted tahini, or other nut butter
- 4 generous twists of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cooked brown rice or millet
- Place all ingredients except rice or millet in a food processor; pulse about eight times, until blended. Scrape down sides, and pulse another six times. Do not overprocess. Transfer to a bowl, and gently stir in cooked rice or millet.
- Divide mixture into four portions, and form into ½-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Fry burgers until bottoms are brown, about 5 minutes. Spray tops of burgers with cooking spray, and flip. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Serve on buns, with lettuce, diced tomato and sliced avocado, if desired.
PER SERVING: 214 CAL; 9G PROTEIN; 7G FAT; 32G CARB (1G SUGARS); 317MG SODIUM; 10G FIBER (NUTRITIONAL VALUES CALCULATED AT NUTRITIONDATA.SELF.COM)