Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup kale, fully packed with chopped leaves and no stems
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked for 4+ hours in water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare mushrooms: If needed, clean mushrooms by gently brushing with a pastry brush or wiping with a damp cloth. Remove stems, saving them for stock.
- Prepare puree: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium size sauté pan over low heat. Add sweet potatoes and cover. Stir often. After sweet potatoes have softened, about 15-20 minutes, puree with a food mill or a food processor. (Alternatively, peel and cut root vegetables into large pieces. Cook in salted boiling water until tender. Puree in a food mill. Mix in a tablespoon of melted butter, olive oil or a light cream.)
- Make pesto: In a food processor, add kale, extra-virgin olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Process until smooth. Add walnuts and pulse until desired consistency. Taste, season with additional salt and lemon juice as needed.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon puree into mushrooms and place on parchment. Place in preheated oven, and bake until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish stuffed mushrooms with pesto and serve immediately. They are great with spicy kale chips (see separate recipe).
Live Naturally is excited to share recipes from students and graduates of Bauman College, like April Chou. Bauman is committed to spreading wellness through the healing power of fresh, whole food. Their holistic nutrition and culinary arts programs equip students with the tools necessary to support people – locally and globally – in achieving optimal health. For more info, visit baumancollege.org.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post