Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or your favorite, optional
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, optional
- 2 tablespoons water or more depending on consistency of tahini
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3 tablespoons dried coconut
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro, Italian parsley, basil or herb of your choosing
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 375°F. Slice the tofu into 4 cutlets. Or try making triangles by slicing the block of tofu diagonally and then slice in half to create 4 cutlets. Place on a baking dish with soy sauce, coconut oil, if using, and water. Marinate for 5 minutes, flipping periodically.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare the tahini marinade by placing the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking well.
- Place the tofu, along with its marinade, in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. While the tofu is cooking, prepare the crust. Pulse chop the pecans in a food processor until they are coarse crumbs. Be careful not to over-process or it will turn into a paste. Transfer to a bowl with the remaining crust ingredients and mix well.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and coat the top of the cutlets with tahini marinade, using a spoon. Liberally top the cutlets with the crust mixture and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of The 30-Minute Vegan & Chef by Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion and the Doctor and the Chef. Mark is the author of 7 vegan cookbooks and a 2017 Inductee into the Vegetarian Hall of Fame.