Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 8-oz jar sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (see recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (see recipe notes)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 25-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes, reserving 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the reserved oil to a large skillet. Turn the burner to medium and heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion and salt and reduce the heat to medium-low. Sauté the onion until it becomes golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and increase the heat to medium. Sauté the tomato paste until it turns dark red, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, ½ cup (120 ml) of water, tomatoes and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chickpeas become soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Using a wooden spoon,gently mash some of the chickpeas and break the sun-dried tomatoes apart. Season with basil, if desired.
Recipes notes: Two large cloves of garlic are about equal to 1 tablespoon (9 g) of minced garlic. You may think it’s cheating to use Italian seasoning, but I’m a big fan of herb and spice blends. Word on the street is that blends are often a way for herb and spice manufacturers to sell the dregs of their supply, so I do make an effort to shop high-quality brands. Excerpted from 5-Ingredient Vegan Cooking © 2021 by Kate Friedman. Published by Page Street Publishing.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post