Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 medium butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 medium sweet potato (or 2 if you like a sweeter flavor soup), peeled and cubed
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (of 1 T olive oil plus 1 T butter)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Optional: Fresh cream for the top of each serving
- Prepare butternut squash through carrots and set aside.
- Add shallots, ginger and oil to a large stock pan and heat on medium high until shallots are fragrant and begin to wilt, stirring frequently so they don’t burn or scorch.
- Add squash, sweet potato and carrots and stir to coat. Stir for about 3 minutes then add curry powder through pepper and continue to stir another 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to low and add broth. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until squash and sweet potato are tender.
- Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool about 20 minutes. Then in smaller 2-3 cup increments add all of the mixture to a heat-proof blender and puree on low until desired consistency is reached. (Alternatively you can use an immersion blender.)
- Return the soup to the stock pot and add grated nutmeg, stirring until well mixed. Heat again on low for another 20 to 30 minutes. Turn off heat until ready to serve.
This is delicious with just a small dollop of fresh cream on top.
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine