Photo Credit: Tom Regester
Vegetarian Chili with Poblanos and Hominy
Charred poblanos, canned chiles and hominy give this chili some Tex-Mex flavor.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 3 poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 (4-oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 6 cups broth
- 3 cups hominy (from one 25-oz can), drained and rinsed
- 2 (15.5-oz) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Ripe avocado
- Cultured sour cream or kefir
- Pickled hot peppers or jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Flaky sea salt (optional)
- Use tongs to char poblanos over a gas flame until blistered and black, 8 to 10 minutes. (Or preheat broiler to high and char peppers on a baking sheet.) Place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let steam 5 minutes. Slip skins off, halve peppers, discard seeds and chop.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and chiles and cook, stirring continuously and scraping any caramelized spices off bottom of pot, until any excess moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Add hominy, beans, and remaining salt and black pepper. Cook until heated through, about 30 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve topped with avocado, sour cream, pickled peppers and cilantro, with a squeeze of lime juice and some sea salt.
Excerpted from Help Yourself : A Guide to Gut Health for People Who Like Delicious Food © 2020 by Lindsay Mailtand Hunt. Published by Houghton Miffilin Harcourt.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Sodium: 2878mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 15g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post