Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Vegetable Broth with Chickpea Dumplings
A light broth with hearty vegetarian dumplings. Cut the soup vegetables into small, uniform pieces to fit on your spoon with the dumplings.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ small onion, finely minced
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (15-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all dumpling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Knead with hands until well combined. Form into just less than 1-inch balls.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, seasoning, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Add dumplings, and gently simmer 10 minutes. Dumplings should begin to float within 1–2 minutes; cook another 8–10 minutes. Serve.
(If desired, finely chop vegetables and herbs in a food processor before adding the flours and seasoning.)
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Sodium: 510mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g