Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 3 people
- 16 oz fettuccine
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unflavored plant-based milk of your choice
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook it for 1minute less than the time listed on the package. Before draining, ladle out 1cup of the starchy pasta water and set it aside. Drain the pasta, then rinse it with cold water to prevent it from sticking together and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the plant-based butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour until there are no clumps. Reduce the heat to medium, then whisk in the milk until it is entirely combined in the roux and there are no lumps.
- To the skillet, add the celery salt, kosher salt, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, water, black pepper, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes—7 minutes if you like your pasta sauce runny,10 minutes if you prefer a thicker sauce for your pasta. (Keep in mind it will thicken a bit more once the pasta is added.)
- Gently mix in the cooked fettuccine until it is entirely coated with the sauce. Let it cook for 1 minute more, then turn off the heat, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the parsley or use it to garnish the top of the pasta for each serving.
Reprinted with permission from Crazy Good Vegan by Lloyd Rose. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Sarah Kermalli.
Calories: 636kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 19g | Sodium: 676mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0.5g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post