Vegan Lemony Herbed Cauliflower Roast
The ultimate in plant-based holiday roasts, serve this decorative loaf as a side dish or as the centerpiece. Feel free to break out the electric carving knife for a dramatic effect as carving. Top with cranberry apricot sauce with crystallized ginger.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, try smoked
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the water in an 8 inch by 8 inch casserole dish. Add the cauliflower. Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, and top with ½ teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Use your (clean) hands to evenly coat the cauliflower.
- Cover with aluminum foil, being sure not to have the foil contact the food, and bake until cauliflower is just tender all the way through, approximately 45-50 minutes. Remove the foil.
- Change oven setting to HIGH broil. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the outside of the cauliflower turns a crispy brown. Remove from the oven.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Baste cauliflower well before showing off, slicing and serving.