Toasted walnuts are the finishing touch on these flavorful and healthful sweet potatoes.
- ½ cup water
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ cup full fat or lite coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, optionally toasted in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the water in a 9 inch by 13 inch casserole dish.
- Add the sweet potatoes, cut side on the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil, being sure not to have the foil contact the food, and bake until just tender, approximately 45 minutes, depending upon the size of the sweet potatoes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Place the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, pumpkin spice mix, and salt in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Poke some holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Pour the coconut milk mixture over the potatoes and return to the oven. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place potatoes on a serving dish.
- Top with any of the coconut milk mixture left in the dish, as well as the chopped walnuts before serving.