Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups sliced wild mushrooms
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 2 large leeks; white part only, chopped
- 2 large ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and cook until mushrooms release their liquid and begin to cook dry.
- Remove ½ cup of cooked mushrooms; reserve for later.
- Add leeks, celery and shallot to pot; continue to cook over medium heat, until vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Add chicken thighs, dried herbs, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and broth. Raise heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once soup has begun to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until chicken is completely tender and falling from the bone, 30–40 minutes. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, and set aside to cool briefly.
- With an immersion blender or regular blender, blend hot soup until completely smooth.
- Pull chicken meat from bones, and shred into pieces. Return chicken and reserved mushrooms to pot, and heat soup to a simmer. Stir in sour cream and fresh parsley.
- Divide among four bowls, and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a slice or two of sautéed mushroom, and a sprig of fresh parsley, if desired.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post