Recipe Type: Side
Author: Anderson Hadley, Megan Fira, Chef Adam Sacks, Tracy Bui, Jesus Rava III, & Nobuko Simoneaux of Johnson & Wales University
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-inch knob ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups barley
- 3 quarts vegetable stock, room temperature
- 1 cup sweet potato, finely diced
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup fried garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium stockpot over medium heat, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic, stirring until fragrant. Add barley; stir to toast, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, and bring to a boil; then add sweet potato.
- Reduce heat to low simmer. Cook 1½ to 2 hours, until rice is soft and porridge-like, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While congee cooks, prepare garnish. Slice scallions. To fry garlic, thinly slice; cook in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned.
- To serve, top congee with fried garlic and scallions.
Fun fact: A super source of beta-carotene, sweet potatoes are also host to a wealth of antioxidants and minerals, including manganese, copper, potassium and phosphorus.
PER SERVING: 190 CAL; 4G PROTEIN; 4G FAT; 36G CARB (5G SUGARS); 400MG SODIUM