Sweet Potato and Barley Congee
According to Chinese medicine, winter is a time to slow down and eat warm, hearty meals to feed your kidneys, which in turn create nutrients for bone health. This sweet potato and barley congee just does that!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 inch knob ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups barley
- 3 quarts vegetable stock, room temperature
- 1 cup sweet potato, finely diced
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup fried garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium stockpot over medium heat, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic, stirring until fragrant. Add barley; stir to toast, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, and bring to a boil; then add sweet potato.
- Reduce heat to low simmer. Cook 1½ to 2 hours, until rice is soft and porridge-like, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While congee cooks, prepare garnish. Slice scallions. To fry garlic, thinly slice; cook in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned.
- To serve, top congee with fried garlic and scallions.