Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 inch knob ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups barley
- 3 quarts vegetable stock, room temperature
- 1 cup sweet potato, finely diced
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup fried garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium stockpot over medium heat, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic, stirring until fragrant. Add barley; stir to toast, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, and bring to a boil; then add sweet potato.
- Reduce heat to low simmer. Cook 1½ to 2 hours, until rice is soft and porridge-like, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While congee cooks, prepare garnish. Slice scallions. To fry garlic, thinly slice; cook in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned.
- To serve, top congee with fried garlic and scallions.
Fun fact: A super source of beta-carotene, sweet potatoes are also host to a wealth of antioxidants and minerals, including manganese, copper, potassium and phosphorus.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 400mg | Sugar: 5g
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine