One of my favorite raw breakfasts comes from Carol Alt’s raw food cookbook — an avocado-based muesli, which impressed me so much when I first discovered it, that I made it for months on end. This porridge is a nod to that memorable dish, and perfect for the mornings when it’s too hot to cook anything, but there is still in need for a substantial, porridge-like meal. Superfoods, in short, are types of foods that are particularly dense in nutrients – vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Hemp hearts, bee pollen, cacao nibs, goji berries, chia seeds, mulberries, maca and cacao powders are a few examples, and I like to keep some of them handy for adding to smoothies, breakfast porridges, salads or dessert, for a quick boost of energy. This porridge is loaded with healthy fats from avocado, along with protein from chia seeds, nuts and hemp hearts, starting you off right for the day. It’s full of sweet juices from summer peaches and has a variety of pleasant textures – from soft, to chewy, to crunchy.
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk (pg.)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado – pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 ripe, sweet peaches – pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup uncooked rolled oats
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup untoasted nuts such as pistachio, walnuts or pecans
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or to taste
- 2 tablespoons maca root powder (optional)
Options for toppings
- Sliced peaches
- Fresh berries
- Hemp hearts
- Bee pollen
- Cacao nibs
- Place chia seeds in a clean, dry jar with a tight-ftting lid and pour almond milk over them. Tighten lid and shake well until chia seeds are evenly coated with milk and there are no clumps. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, you can do this the night before and leave the chia to gel overnight.
- Place avocado, peaches, oats, raisins, nuts, lemon juice, honey and maca powder, if using, in a food processor and pulse until well-combined into a chunky puree. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and fold in the chilled chia pudding.
- Distribute between serving bowls and garnish with all or any of suggested toppings. Best eaten within a day.