Sunnyside Up Toastie with Avocado, Butter, Mushrooms and Tomatoes
This recipe takes a cue from the British, who love mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast. You can also cook eggs in a poaching pan. Be sure to coat each egg cup with butter before cooking. Bring water to boil in the pan, and cook eggs as desired (3–4 minutes for a runny yolk).
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 thick slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 white button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 4 cage-free eggs
- Smash avocado in a bowl, add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Spread avocado butter on toast slices. Place on serving plates.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom quarters and sauté 8–10 minutes, until lightly browned. Add tomato halves and tarragon; cook until heated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Poach eggs: Fill a skillet half full with water; bring to a gentle boil. Break each egg one at a time in a small dish and carefully tip into skillet. Simmer uncovered for 3–5 minutes, until whites are completely set. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon.
- Spoon mushrooms and tomatoes over the toast. Top with eggs, season with salt and pepper, and serve right away.