- 3 1/2 cups organic canned lima beans (or substitute white cannellini beans), reserve liquid
- 8 whole green chiles, seeded with tops removed (or 3 15-ounce cans)
- 8 ounce block Monterey jack cheese
- 2 pinches oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- Drain lima beans, reserving liquid in a small bowl. Or use 1 pound of dried lima beans (using approximately 6 cups of water, bring to a boil and cook at least 90 minutes, adding additional water if necessary).
- Layer 1 can of (cooked) limas on the bottom of 9×13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of oregano and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Stuff whole green chiles with about 1 ounce of jack cheese. This works best if you thinly slice the cheese into a triangular shape and gently place inside the chile. Place the stuffed chiles on top of the first layer of lima beans.
- Layer second can of limas (1 can), and season again with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and another pinch of oregano.
- Stir yogurt and garlic into reserved lima bean mixture, and mix until it resembles a slurry. Pour over everything. Bake for about 30 minutes.