Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Leilah Rice, Thomas Grabe, Amanda Fischer, Julianne Williams, Kevin Knaus and Chef Adam Sacks
- 1 pound rhubarb, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ pound strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced, if large
- 3 cups oat milk (can also use coconut, cashew or vanilla soy milk)
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Place rhubarb in a medium saucepan. Add sugar and water; stir to combine.
- Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until rhubarb is tender, 5–7 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to prevent sticking. (If you stir, rhubarb will break up.) Remove from heat, and fold in strawberries.
- To make sorbet, combine milk, maple syrup, salt and almond extract in an ice cream maker or bowl. Freeze according to ice cream maker’s instructions, or place in a loaf pan and freeze 4 hours to overnight.
- To serve, spoon sorbet into small bowls and top with warm or chilled strawberry rhubarb confit.
PER SERVING: 205 CAL; 1 G PROTEIN; 0 G FAT; 49 G CARB (43 G SUGARS); 23 MG SODIUM; 2 G FIBER
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University (JWU). Leilah Rice, Thomas Grabe, Amanda Fischer, Julianne Williams, Kevin Knaus and Chef Adam Sacks developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.