Photo Credit: Jennifer Olson
This twist on traditional pesto is delicious as a condiment or sauce for pasta, vegetables, seafood and poultry.
Servings: 12 ounces
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds raw, hulled
- 1 ⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt optional
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place spinach, basil, sunflower seeds and pine nuts into a food processor; pulse several times. Add garlic, lemon juice and cheese; pulse several times more. Scrape down sides of food processor with a rubber spatula.
- While food processor is running, slowly add olive oil and then water in a steady, small stream to help emulsify and prevent separation. Occasionally stop to scrape down sides of food processor.
- Stir in optional salt and freshly ground black pepper; adjust seasoning to taste.
Serving: 12oz | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 67g | Sodium: 1601mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g