- 1/2 cups raw pepitas
- 3 cups chopped kale, fairly tightly packed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon seeded and diced hot pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, or 1/2 teaspoon chile powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- Place the pepitas in a small bowl with ample water to cover. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- Place in a strong blender with all of the remaining ingredients except the cilantro, and red bell pepper, and blend until very creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro and stir well. Top with red bell pepper before serving.
- Add 2 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh turmeric.
- Replace all or some of the kale with other greens such as spinach, chard, or arugula. Replace the cilantro with basil or 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of curry powder or ground cumin.