Photo Credit: Robert Bredvad
Spicy Goddess Flatbread
A tasty take on trendy avocado toast, with a hint of sweet heat courtesy of candied jalapenos.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 medium jalapenos, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup water, heated to 110°F
- 1 1/4-ounce packet active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 21/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza stone or baking sheet
Spicy Goddess Dressing:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup microgreens
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in jalapenos. Simmer 5 minutes, then pour into a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool completely.
- Grease a large bowl with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Let the mixture sit until it becomes foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and the salt to the yeast mixture and mix until the dough comes together into a ball, about 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, until it forms a ball. Lightly flour your work surface, then turn out the dough and knead it 10 times. Transfer the dough to the greased bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest in a warm, dark place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Dust a pizza stone or baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Turn out the dough and punch it down with your hands to deflate. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared pizza stone, prick it all over with a fork, then brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake the flatbread for about 7 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crisped around the edges. Remove the flatbread from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Grease a large pan with cooking spray. Bake crust according to directions. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire, garlic, parsley, tarragon, chives, avocado and salt. Process until pureed.
Top the flatbread:
- Slather dressing atop the flatbread, spreading in an even layer. Top with sliced cucumbers and microgreens.
- Use a slotted spoon to scatter candied jalapenos on top (reserve the syrup for other uses). Slice and serve.
Adapted from The Secret Ingredient Cookbook © 2021 by Kelly Senyei. Photography © 2021 by Robert Bredvad. Available now from HMH Books & Media. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Calories: 789kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 45g | Sodium: 1035mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 53g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post