Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup teff grains
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 extra-ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 10 dried figs, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 small zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 banana, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spelt, teff, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add bananas, figs, carrot, zucchini and walnuts. Fold in the dry mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Top with the banana halves any way you like and sprinkle on the coconut, if using.
- Pop in the oven for 70 minutes, or until cooked through. Cover with foil after 30 minutes of cooking to prevent burning the coconut. Allow to cool 5 minutes in the pan, then lift it out with the parchment paper onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
Excerpted from Love your gut © 2021 by Megan Rossi. Published by the Experiment, an imprint of Workman Publishing. Reprinted by permission.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Sodium: 127mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post