Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 4 medium-size longish sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange sliced potatoes in baking dish in 2–3 rows, at a 45-degree angle. (So that the slice in front is leaning on the slice behind it, and so on.)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, butter, syrup, salt, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir until combined and sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Continue to boil gently for 2 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce evenly over potatoes. Cover and bake, basting once or twice, for 30–35 minutes. Add currants and pecans and bake an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from oven, uncover, and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from Let's Brunch: 100 Recipes for the Best Meal of the Week © 2020 by Belinda Smith-Sullivan. Photography © 2020 by Susan Barson Hayward.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post